Friday, June 20, 2008

Saving the day (or cake, rather)

Tomorrow we are having a party for our newly two-year old daughter. So tonight, the three of us were rushing around Safeway picking up things for a BBQ.

All was going well...until we got the cake. I picked one out from the case and the guy at the counter wrote "Happy Birthday Emerson" on it. Well, I asked him to write it. What he did it would take my right hand tied behind my back and 7 beers to approximate. It looked awful.

But I'm not a confrontational person. So I rationalized the crappy writing away and took the cake. Well, the doof didn't put the top on tight enough, so when my husband tried to put it in the car, the cake box fell apart. And the cake fell. Face down.

I was near tears so my husband grabbed the cake box and stormed back into the store. He came back 10 minutes later with a new, free, and beautiful cake. He told me that everyone in the store parted like the Red Sea when he came in and that the guy at the cake counter just took the cake back without saying anything.

Now, my husband is also not a confrontational person typically. He had a waiter dump champagne on his head once and he didn't complain. He's about 150 soaking wet, so he must have looked murderous. I guess some guy at the counter said "Help the brother; he looks like he's gonna kill someone."

As far as I'm concerned, he saved the (birth)day and the cake. What more can you ask for than a guy understands the importance of birthday cake.

No comments: