Wednesday, June 11, 2008

On my Own, Day 1

My husband had to travel to Santa Cruz today for the memorial service of one of his former students. It's an absolute tragedy. He taught this particular child for three years, and the young man died last week in a motorcycle accident a week before his high school graduation.

My husband is stoic, but I can see the pain festering inside. I feel horrible for him. So, when my brother in-law invited Justin to a three-day camping trip with Boy Scouts this week, I insisted he go, even though I'd be watching Emy most of the week by myself. I know a camping trip with 10 teenage boys sounds less than pleasant for most people, but my husband will love it. Hopefully, it will restore some of his normally positive view of things.

So today was my first day of all day, one-on-one Em duty in a long time. She's a typically easy-going kid, but she's almost two and learning that "no" is an awfully fun thing to say to Mommy. And that if one doesn't want to do something, one can just flop on the ground and holler. (You still have to do what Mommy wants, but you get to make a scene...so fun.)

We woke up bright and early at 6 to say good bye to Daddy. Then we watched Curious George bleary eyed. Afterwards, Em pretended to be a curious monkey, making monkey noises and investigating everything all over the house. Very cute.

We got gussied up. Well, she did. I plucked my angry-caterpillar eyebrows. That was the extent of my gussification. We headed to Java City for coffee, found a free parking spot (YES!), and walked to the shop. While I didn't get to socialize as much as I'd like cause I was running after Em, I was really happy to meet so many cool moms.

Later we napped. Then we dropped off invitations for Em's second birthday coming up at her daycare. We got some stuff for dinner, and headed home. I'm about to do some Pilates. I'm looking forward to my evening home with Em (and So You Think You Can Dance). But my thoughts are with my dear husband driving home.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry that he had to deal with something so sad.

I hope you and Em are having a great time.