Friday, June 6, 2008

And that's all, Folks!


Today I entered my grades, tidied my class room, and thanked the few colleagues who were still around for being so kind to me during my first year. Today I finished my first year teaching high school.

Here's my year, by the numbers:

* Started at 155 students, grew to 160, shrank back down to 149
* Sent out over 40 progress reports first semester for failing students, failed less than 10 today
* Met two kindred spirits, made three friends, found one possible foe amongst my fellow teachers
* Found at least three students in each class I will remember forever, discovered one student who is my "mini-me"
* Had two students tell me they were pregnant
* Had four students tell me their parents lost their homes
* Had countless students tell me they would never want my job
* Had one student tell me I've convinced her to become a teacher
* Cried twice in front of my department head
* Cried too many times to count in my car on the way home
* Got two lay-off notices
* Got two job offers
* Hugged 10 students on their way out of the class room
* Had 15 students drop by after finals to hug me on my way out of the class room

I started teaching over seven years ago, wanting to be a high school teacher. I became a middle school teacher because at 22 I felt too young to teach students who could be 18. It was a huge decision for me to move to high school, and while this year has had it's ups and downs, it has been a huge gift to me. I've remembered a couple things:

1. I did not become a teacher to teach rich kids
2. Books are cool!
3. Talking about college is super fun
4. Workplaces are basically the same everywhere you go...there will be awesome people; there will be not so awesome people
5. What I teach is not as important as who I teach
6. It is always better to laugh than cry (or yell)
7. Nothing is more intoxicating than hope

Few professions give people such a chance to reflect. What I like about teaching is that every year I get to wrap things up and start over. It really is the best job.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

What an inspiring post. I had a great year too, even if I only had 10 students and only for an hour a week for a few weeks. It was so worth it and I agree- it's a great job. The whole ending every year thing is good too...