Monday, January 7, 2008

Winter Break is So Over

It became abundantly clear to me that my vacation was over on Friday. I drove down to the Bay Area to visit with friends, which was an awful idea given the nasty storm we had. The visit was lovely, but the almost three hour drive back to Elk Grove was not.

Upon arriving home, I found my husband sick with the flu and our apartment suffering severe water damage from the storm. The maintenance crew ripped up the carpet in my daughter's bedroom and left, leaving lovely rusting nails exposed. After a day of getting no response from the management, I left a terse (but polite) message that clearly stated the words "health department." Lickety-split, we were temporarily moved into another apartment for a couple days.

Now we are back in our apartment, and the damage is repaired. I'm cringing for the next storm, which is due soon. Hopefully, everything inside will remain dry.

The first day back to school went okay, but I was so pooped at the end of the day that I didn't even try to get organized for tomorrow. I just headed straight to my daughter's daycare. A mother of two girls at the daycare gave my daughter play-do for Christmas, and my daycare provider SWEARS that Em doesn't eat it. I'll have to see that to believe it.

No comments: