Friday, January 18, 2008

It's so funny

I lived in San Jose for almost ten years and I never really identified myself with that area. It was actually rather accidental that I lived there at all for that long. I went to college there, not really knowing anything about the city.

There are things that I grew to love. I really liked downtown; there are some cool older buildings, parks, and churches. And they are all kind of hidden. So many of the buildings are empty too, so it gives everything a really cool, creepy feeling.

And of course, there's the fact that I met my husband there. Though, I'm really sure we would have met at some point anyways. Our lives have intersected at several points.

I wouldn't define myself as homesick, but I have moments. Fridays can be particularly lonely for me. My old school has a tradition of people signing up to make snacks for brunch. My new school doesn't do that, and it makes me feel isolated.

I always thought it would be things like happy hour or holidays or my friends' birthdays that would make me miss my old life. Nope. Again, it's little things I never truly appreciated at the time.

No comments: