Tuesday, April 29, 2008

"Should I stay or should I go?"

My blog post is the title of one of my favorite Clash songs. My mom and I used to sing it together when I was a kid (she's a cool, rocker mom.) In fact, we still do.

However, I am not a person who likes ambiguity. I tell my students: I teach ambiguity as a literary concept, that doesn't mean I enjoy it.

So it's no surprise to me that I face ambiguous situations regularly. Like my current employment situation.

Here's the deal: In March, I received a notice terminating my employment at the end of the year. I went to my hearing, applied to jobs online, and organized my resume, portfolio, etc. As of today, I'm still laid off. I did not expect to get any job interviews for awhile, as most districts are laying off teachers or facing budget issues.

Well, good news/ambiguous news. I have an interview with Roseville Joint Unified on Friday. It's a good district with new schools and a relatively stable budget, at least for now.

However, I've also been told by several people at my district that it looks like there is a possibility I will have a position next year. No one can commit to anything of course.

Here's why this is so frustrating. If I stay in Elk Grove, next year I will be higher on the seniority list, thereby avoiding the layoff situation. If I move districts, I may very well be in a similar situation next year. If the interview goes well with Roseville and they like me, I'll have to make a decision most likely before my current district makes up their mind.

This is supposed to be a good time for teachers. Your students act like people. There's five weeks until school's out and testing is done. Talk about killing the buzz.

Argggh. I'm honestly trying to be patient. Just get ready for my interview and deal with things as they come, but it is so difficult. I hate having everything up in the air.

Again, arrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh.

No comments: