Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Number 29, reporting for duty

Today I received an email stating that my district had finally put all the laid-off High School English teachers (we're called RIF's by the way; isn't that catchy) in a ranking. In case positions open up, we will get jobs in that particular order.

So here's how my district put the list together (I'm deliberately avoiding adjectives as to not appear snarky.) First, it gave every English teacher a point for every bachelor's degree, every master's degree, and every credential. Once teacher's were sorted by that criteria, the district had ties.

The district had some choices to make. Teachers have two types of credentials: preliminary (a beginning credential) and a clear credential (meaning they've taken classes in topics like special ed and computers.) Every teacher must get a clear credential within five years of completing her preliminary.

My district wanted to make things simple, so they chose to use a lottery system. They did not look at Clear credentials, years of teaching in other districts, or any other criteria. They selected teachers randomly.

I am number 29 out of 34. My union rep says it's not looking good for me.

I know for a fact there are teachers in front of me who have taught for fewer years and who do not have a Clear credential. Yes, the lottery system makes it easier, but does it make it fair? I wonder about the other teachers behind me: do they have qualities that are being overlooked?

Basically, we are being told by the district that if we can teach more than one class, we are valuable. But any other skill we have is not. I was a department head, I led a program called AVID for at-risk students, and I wrote my school's distinguished school application. I am willing (and happy) to work at a school filled with at-risk, often rough, needy children. Teachers are more than paper, more than certificates.

I hear politicians, including those at the district level, speak often about the importance of placing the most qualified teachers in the class rooms. I know now that can really be an empty promise. When we allow our children's educators to be selected at random, how can we ensure the highest level of quality?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

That is pretty ridiculous. My daughter's teacher has the least seniority at our school so because of cuts she won't be back next year. I am sad- I think she's doing a great job. She's got experience too- 8 years.

I hope that this will all work together for something really awesome for you.