Sunday, March 23, 2008

Wish me luck

t's back to work for me tomorrow. Spring break was lovely, but way too short (as usual.) I have to hold on to the pleasant memories until Memorial Day, since that's my next day off. I'm aware that I may get little sympathy from those not in teaching because I do get the summer off; however, it's amazing what one can get used to.

So, it's almost two months until my next day off, and there are some potential important dates coming up. I should have my hearing with the school board in mid April about contesting whether or not I should be let go. Then, I should find out in mid-May if I really am losing my job.

What the challenge will be is staying positive and not taking out my frustration on my students. I need to remember that they are innocent (as much as 15 year olds can be), and that I do like them. That's often difficult to remember every April, regardless of being pink slipped.

As long as I can stay positive and focused on things I can control, I think I will make it through. The tricky part will be avoiding the negative co-workers lurking in the copy room. I just need to keep my head down, be focused on doing a good job, and counting to ten (maybe 15) when students start egging me on.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck. I am a high school English teacher and fairly new mother as well (my baby turns three in May). I know that it is a struggle day to day, especially with the stress of the pink slip hanging over your head. I pray that things turn out well for you. From reading some of your posts it seems that you are a great teacher (and mother and wife, too) that really cares about her students. It would be a shame for them to lose you. Good luck!