Thursday, March 6, 2008

Kids are cool

Here are three reasons why I am so pleased to work with teenagers all day:

1. They are truly kind, sweet individuals when it comes down to it. There was a newspaper article about teacher lay-offs yesterday, and so many kids came to me and said things like, "This school wouldn't be the same without you," "Who would I talk to?", and "I'm not worried about you Ms H; you'll be here next year." So unexpected and so kind.

2. They will do almost anything I ask. We read Shakespeare's sonnet "Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Day", which is rather difficult to understand. I gave them the assignment to write an original poem responding to the speaker (he basically tells a woman she'll be ugly one day), and I was worried they wouldn't do the assignment. But they amazed me! Their poems are clever and funny and totally wonderful.

3. They show up when it counts. I teach an 8th period for upper class men who need to repeat English 9, 10, or 12 for an hour after school every day. I have at least 30 kids show up every day and they are respectful and intelligent. We have great conversations about literature and they obviously care about doing well.

I have the best job.

No comments: