Saturday, March 29, 2008

I am Woman...?

These past two weeks have been odd. My husband has subbed at my high school, and while we try to ignore each other as much as possible, kids are figuring out we are married. It's not a horrible thing, but it's strange to have your personal life intersect with your professional.

One nice aspect about this has been driving to work together. Yesterday afternoon, we chatted in my class room after school, picked up our daughter together from day care, and planned our evening together. Very pleasant.

My husband made fantastic enchiladas with turkey he had grilled earlier in the week. He is seriously the best cook ever! I went running, bathed the baby, and lifted weights.

By the time I was done, dinner was ready, the kitchen was spotless, and I had a fresh strawberry margarita in my hand. This got me to thinking: am I woman enough for my husband?

My husband jokes that he and I have switched roles. He cooks. He cleans. He puts Em to bed at night. He's actually much more maternal than I am. He can sooth her perfectly. I do an okay job when she's upset or sick, but I'm much better playing with her, running around, and being goofy. Basically, I feel like the stereotypical father figure.

I wonder what defines being a woman. My husband argues that most women care about planning special meals, decorating their houses, and making everything just right. Is this true?

My whole adult life (and maybe even earlier), I always wanted to be the smartest in the room, the most capable, the shining star. I don't always hit the mark, but I try very hard. But this all applies to my professional life. I wonder if I'm letting another aspect of myself slack.

Maybe I should attempt to be more domestic. It's not that I don't contribute: I pay the bills, do the shopping, and fold laundry until the end of time. But I don't contribute anything to our home that has any style. All the nice touches are my husband's.

I'd like to be more "feminine" but I don't know where to start.

No comments: