Friday, July 3, 2009

Something Unexpected This Way Comes

My last blog discussed how weird it was to work with my husband. I would like to use the same forum to state that I was completely wrong, wrong, wrong about working with my husband. It wasn't weird; it was great! In fact, I think my husband getting his teaching credential was one of the best things to happen in our relationship since Emerson was born.

Seriously.

Last summer, Justin and I went through a rough patch. I felt really cut off from him emotionally, and I felt he had no idea how the stress of our new life in Sacramento was wearing me thin. Though I'm not a therapist, it seemed like he was going through some sort of depression.

We didn't talk. We just sort of orbited around each other, only coming in close contact to argue.

But this year, our relationship experienced a positive change. We started talking about things non-house, non-Emerson related for the first time in years. We talked about students, teaching, and Literature.

That talking has continued and grown throughout this summer. We are both teaching English 9, but at different schools. I always thought I'd feel threatened if he taught the same thing as me. No, he's a very gracious teacher, very willing to share ideas and listen.

I'm excited about this upcoming year for more than just the fact that we will have two incomes again (I won't lie though; that will be AWESOME). I can't wait to find out where our conversation leads.

1 comment:

kelly said...

That's going to be so cool! How exciting. I would have been a bit petrified with the hubby teaching/doing the same thing as I, but it's sounds like you're off to a good start. I look orward to hearing how it goes.