Friday, July 24, 2009

Self-Imposed Vacation

Last week, I mandated a complete week off from work-related business for myself. You might be asking yourself, Wait a minute; aren't you a teacher? It's still summer, right?

Allow me to explain.

I just finished summer school, and I'm not technically "on the clock", as my contract does not begin until Aug. 11th. However, I was noticing that all these "opportunities" were popping up last week.

They start innocently enough, with an email from my vice principal: "Hillary, we'd really like your input on collaborating with the Special Ed department." Sure. And BAM! I now have a half a day meeting. Again, "Hillary, we would love for you to teach English 10 Honors." Wow, that's nice. BAM! A day long meeting.

What the frick?

Around last Thursday, after being bamboozled into my second non-scheduled, non-paid-for meeting, my snark started to show.

My colleagues came to these meetings all fresh faced and ready to share ideas. I am in no condition to share anything. In fact, it's probably a good idea if I just keep my mouth shut. You know the adage: if you can't say something nice... I think this saying should be extended to my face also, as I have turned eye-rolling into a marathon sporting event.

So I came to an important, potentially life saving (not mine, btw) conclusion. Yes, I have things to do. Yes, I have items to prepare for work. However, Ms Harrell is not available. I am on a self-imposed vacation. From this Thursday to next Thursday, I will do no "work." No school work. No grad work. No work.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

I will scrap book. I will blog. I will sit on my ...you get the idea. So, no blogs whining and moaning about teaching. Vacation begins NOW. (Well, technically yesterday, but I was so relaxed, I forgot to post this.)

No comments: