Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tuesday, January 20th, 2009

I became a teacher at age 22 in September, 2001. I had very little idea what I was getting into. Two weeks into my career, that feeling was driven completely home.

On September 11th, 2001 I had to look 150 students in the face and try to answer their questions as best I could. I could barely answer my own questions, but still they looked up to me for answers. I muddled through the best I could, hoping that through my influence, my students would not let their fear and anger turn into a permanent bitterness.

I started to think that the only national experiences I would have with my students would be overwhelmingly sad and negative in nature.

Today, that changed.

I made a point to show my students the inauguration this morning. I not only did this because of the historic nature of this event, but I did this because I am very aware that for these young people there has been so much sadness and loss. The particular children I teach were around 9 years old during 9-11. Much of their adolescence has been spent while our nation is at war, and now we face dark economic times.

Today served as a bright spot for my students and I. We all began on a new journey with our new president today. I am so glad that I have the job that I do. I actually turned to them at one point and said, when President Obama referred to the future, "He's talking about YOU." It didn't sound corny or preachy at all. They got it.

No comments: