Sunday, January 18, 2009

How to Stay Connected

I'm an extrovert by nature. I need human contact on a regular basis, or I start to feel out of sorts. More importantly, I thrive on quality human contact and conversation. While I do like quiet time, especially during the winter, it's really important that I engage in healthy, interesting human interactions.

My husband and I are able to talk about almost everything and he is a main source of conversation for me. However, he is much quieter than I am.

In short, I drive him crazy.

When I used to teach summer school in San Jose, I'd get out of school around 12. I'd be all by myself until 5 or 6, when Justin would get home. I was like a big puppy, all excited to see him and chat. He was not as interested. This was a problem.

Eventually, I made really good friends with two women at my school. They were great for a chat online, by phone, or over coffee. I was happy. Justin felt relieved.

Last year, however, we decided to move here to Elk Grove, and leave our lives (and friends) in San Jose. After a couple months of Justin and I really only having each other to talk to, I started to look (I'll admit--a little desperately) for friends. I didn't really find anyone at work who I clicked with, so I turned to the Internet. Luckily, I found several great women to hang out with. Some had little kids, some didn't. I have a great group of diverse, interesting friends now in our new area.

When Justin and I started going back to school, we knew it was going to be hard. But I didn't realize how difficult it was going to be in terms of social interaction. Our crazy schedules have us really cut off from family and friends, especially our family that still lives in the Bay Area. We just don't get to see them very often. I especially miss my sister. I used to be able to call her every other day, but we just don't have the time now. I felt really cut off.

I have returned to the Internet for a solution. While I would still like to see my sister more, tools like email and Facebook and blogs have allowed me to stay in contact. My sister and I chat online, send each other messages; it's great. I don't feel so isolated.

Life changes rapidly. Our hectic lives may force us to sacrifice that which makes us happiest. However, an alternative is usually just around the corner. While I don't want to only have an online relationship with my close friends and family, it will do for now.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Staying connected is so hard, and I miss my sister too. I am so sorry we didn't get to hang out while I was there. There just wasn't enough time. I think next time I will come in summer or something so it's less busy.

Stephanie said...

And your time is very precious when you have a family, work AND school. I'm forever thankful for the internet and cell phones. ;-)