Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Kryptonite: PAIN

I have a problem with pain. I hate, hate, hate being in pain. When I'm in pain (this is physical pain, I'm talking about) I cannot think (or really talk) about anything else.

And what I say is not nice.

It's like the filter that typically separates my true thoughts and the kind euphemisms I normally say dissolves. And there I am in all my tactless, pain-filled wonder. It's like I need everyone else to experience my unhappiness.

I do not like this aspect of my personality.

But seriously, I hate pain.

Take the last 24 hours. I got cavities filled last week and I don't my bite was done correctly. I must have been hitting a nerve because every time I chewed, a stabbing pain shot from my mouth straight to my ear. Last night I couldn't sleep. Had to lay on the couch with an ice pack and count the minutes before the Advil kicked in.

Today at work was low key. I graded while the kids took finals, and I was out by 12:30. But I was not my usual self.

Here's how I know I've changed and grown as a person: I actually did something about my pain. I didn't whine and complain. I made an appointment and got my dentist to shave down my fillings. I already feel better.

This is new behavior for me. I used to be in pain, but procrastinate doing anything about it. Drove my husband nuts.

I've noticed since I had a kid that I don't tend to do that anymore. I seem to value my time more.

Or, I have just started to drive myself crazy too with all my complaining. :)

No comments: