Monday, July 21, 2008

I'm a Donny Girl!

I sat down today after my morning run with a cup of coffee and a couple extra minutes before my shower. I turned on the t.v. to VH1 to watch a couple videos, and was incredibly shocked to discover The New Kids on The Block on my stinking television!

Oh, it brought back memories, oh-e-o, it did! Instantly, I was in fifth grade again playfully arguing with my BFF Amanda about who was cuter. She was definitely a Jordan girl, but I wanted to be different. I wanted the bad bad boy, the one who swore...Donny. Oh, he was dreamy. (Still is by the way...)

Now my family didn't have much extra money, so I didn't have any of the tapes or posters or dolls. But I lived vicariously through Amanda. Eventually, TNKOTB fell out of favor during the sixth grade, so we secretly enjoyed them together at sleep overs, never letting classmates know our true feelings.

Seventh grade tragedy struck. We started middle school and Amanda and I were separated. She moved to Reno and I moved on to alternative music. I found actual bad boys, who did more than swear, and we listened to Nirvana, Peal Jam, and Alice in Chains and felt oh so alienated. New Kids on the Block was a thing of the past.

Until today.

Now, their new song is BAD. And they actually brought back the Hangin' Tough dance at the end of video. Not good. It's one thing to do that dance in your early 20's when you don't know any better. It's an entirely different thing 15 years later. You just look like a spaz. And the years have not been kind to all of the "kids", Danny and Jon especially. But Donny still has my vote. He is fine! (To quote my 12-year-old self.)

So anty up. What kinda girl are you? Jordan (typical), Joey (if ya like 'em squeaky), Donny (rebel), or Jon or Danny (yikes.) I know I'm not the only one, so spill the beans!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Um, typical? There is NOTHING typical about a Jordan girl. :-) I loved him then and I feel I can still support him and the hanging tough dance, because I stand by my man. I do have to say, I also loved Joey singing "Popsicle." You need to go to iTunes, yeah it's there, and give it a listen. You're welcome. :-) It's "better than cake." (and the song's popularity is quite high, NOT surprisingly) :-) Okay, kind of surprising.