Sunday, July 6, 2008

A funny time of year

July is one of the best months, especially when you are a teacher. The whole summer is ahead of you, and it's freedom as far as the eye can see. Even if you teach summer school, it's a very different feeling. There's walks to the park, family parties, and every imaginable type of BBQ. And of course, summery drinks.

My sister and brother-in-law just spend the 4th of July weekend with us. They came over on Friday, and we BBQ'ed pork and had margaritas (yum and ouch, by the way.) Then, yesterday we had a really relaxing day. We got frozen yogurt and our Comcast was finally set up (yay, no more pirates!) We again had a tasty BBQ dinner and ended the night playing Wii Bowling (the girls kicked booty.)

Today they left and Em went down, somewhat peacefully, for her nap. I have been putzing around my new home, folding laundry, etc. I am very happy to be here, but an undeniable funk has settled on me. I think it has to do with more than the muggy weather.

Three years ago, my parents announced that they were splitting up, just days before the 4th of July and my dad's huge family reunion. We had family here from Nebraska and Colorado and we traveled all over the Bay Area, the entire time the five of us pretending everything was okay. It was horrible.

This year it is also my dad's family reunion, but this time it is in Grand Junction, Colorado. Justin and I couldn't afford to go, either by plane or automobile, so we opted out. So did my sister, for the same reasons.

My father still went and took his girlfriend and her two sons. In fact, he couldn't help move us last weekend because they were starting their trip earlier.

If my dad had offered to lend us money or even pay for our tickets, I most likely would have said no. But I'm still surprised that he didn't offer. It's not like him. Or, at least, it wasn't like him.

I know I'm being childish, but I can't help but feel replaced. I have deep anger about the fact that some woman is spending time with my family. I understand this is an immature response, but I just wish she would go away. I want my family back and I'm tired of sharing.

I feel better now that I got that off my chest. Now, back to being an almost thirty year old. :)

2 comments:

sarah said...

Meh. That really does stink. Just not the way it's supposed to be. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

I empathize. My dad's expecting a baby in January with his 28-year-old (!!!) wife. So, not only am I being replaced, but I don't even get to be pregnant by myself. :P

Tanzy