Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Day 3

Of my new self-flagellation tour: running in the morning. Before work. At 6 am.

I came to this decision grudgingly. It's unbelievably hot. The air is awful. And I need to exercise desperately.

So Monday I started with a half hour run down the path right outside my new home. Seriously, you couldn't ask for better. Here's how it went:

5:45
Alarm goes off. I react with uncharacteristic irritation. Hit snooze.

5:50
I get out of bed.

6:00
I head out the door (yes, it took me ten minutes to get out of bed...shush.) I head out to the path. It's not exactly chilling but I don't smell any smoke, so that's good. I pick the left side and head out. I am feeling pretty good about myself.

6:05
I'm still feeling proud, but I am surprised at how fast I'm not going. Guess I had a different image in my head.

6:10
I'm no longer feeling good about myself. I am an idiot. I have looked at my watch (bad idea) and realize I have 20 minutes left.

6:12
I am a b-word.

6:15
I get to turn back now! Things are looking up!

6:20
Now that I am less concerned about dying, I have noticed that there is some pretty dang impressive nature around at this time of morning. I see a mother duck and her babies (I'm assuming they are hers, but who knows), some tall skinny bird thing (I am not going to even pretend I know what it was, but it was pretty), and a snail migration. Pretty sure some of those suckers were going faster than me.

6:30
I finish my run. Not a great finish. Just more of a sputtering out. But it's done...at least until the next day.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Wow. Very impressive.

I cannot run at all, so that's good to me.