Sunday, November 28, 2010

One Down, Three To Go

Holidays, that is. I hate to admit that I'm counting down the holidays before my baby is born, but I've noticed that I'm doing that.

Thanksgiving week went okay. I got an icky cold over the weekend (still getting over it, but it's not too bad), and I had to head into work on Sunday.

Tuesday we left for my mom's in Concord. It was pretty wet and cold outside, so we spent most of our time inside. Worked for me because I got to spend a lot of time cuddling with my nephew.

Wednesday I made a sugar-free cheese cake with my mom. I've never made a cheese cake before, so it was a little nerve wracking. While I enjoy that cakes/pies are easier than cookies, I do not enjoy that you can't tell how they turned out until actual desert time (very hard to taste test without marring the whole thing.)

That night we went out for Mexican food with my sister and her family. Going out the night before Thanksgiving seems to be a new tradition for us. It's kind of funny that we have a household of food, but nothing to eat for dinner. :)

Thursday, actual Thanksgiving, I had a little diabetes excitement. For some reason, I took the wrong insulin and dosage (not quite sure why; I guess I was distracted), and during breakfast I experienced a very scary low blood sugar: 39. This is the lowest I've ever been, and I think I was on the verge of passing out.

Luckily I caught myself and had some bread and jam. Eventually, I got my sugars under control, but I had to test every half hour. My fingers were smarting by the end of the day.

Thanksgiving dinner was very tasty. Justin barbecued the turkey again this year, which I love. It gives the bird a very smoky flavor and it saves space in the oven. Highly enjoyable. Also enjoyable was my cheesecake. It was a pumpkin cheesecake, so it was strong enough in flavor to mask the Splenda taste. I was a little worried that the crust would be soggy because when I took the foil off the pan, water had seeped in from the water bath. Luckily, the crust was fine.

Friday we hung out with my sister and brother-in-law, taking the kids to the park and going for happy hour. (Well, the other adults enjoyed happy hour drinks; I enjoyed the half-priced nachos. Works for me.) We had a quick leftover dinner at my mom's and headed back home to a freezing house.

Yesterday I holed myself in said house (much warmer after running the heater for awhile) and worked on Advocacy lessons. I got those done, but unfortunately I have to head into work now to take care of some things for tomorrow. Hopefully, I can just head in for a little bit and come home and take a nap.

I keep telling myself that it is only three weeks until our next break, but work has become rather overwhelming. I'm just trying to focus on the task at hand and not let myself be overwhelmed by stress, but it is challenging.

Is it December 17th yet? :)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Good luck in the upcoming crazy weeks! It's so nice hearing about your family time; really makes me miss being close to mine. :-)