Saturday, June 5, 2010

I'm on Vacation?

Cuz it sure didn't feel like it! For a four-day week that was supposed to begin summer vacation for me, it was quite a doozy.

Actual Memorial Day was nice. Justin's parents were here, and we went out to lunch. Later, a couple friends came over to help us with left overs. It was much less frantic than the rest of the weekend (we had a HUGE party for my graduation and Em's birthday.)

Tuesday wasn't shabby either. I got a massage. I'm using up this coupon for a salon in our neighborhood that Justin got me for Valentine's Day. So far I've had a facial (surprisingly nice), manicure (underwhelming), and Tuesday was the massage. It was very nice, but I am always mystified that people would go into a profession in which they are required to touch people.

Wednesday is when things got wonky. First, I had an application due for a job in Elk Grove. We had no ink, so I had to rush over to Kinko's, then over to the district office to turn it in, then to my old school to pick up a letter of rec for another position. In the meantime, I was trying to get Em ready for a short trip to the Bay Area.

The rest of Wednesday was nice. Em and I saw Shrek 3 with my mom, went out to dinner, and got some frozen yogurt.

Thursday I dropped off Em at my cousin Beth's because I was going to visit my old school and participate in an end-of-the-year activity they do with their 8th graders. It was great to see everyone, and I needed a reminder what middle schoolers are like, considering that I am aiming for a middle school admin job.

It was a good day, but it was a lot of driving. First, an hour to Milpitas, then an hour back. Then, after a very eventful, not so awesome dinner at Mimi's, Em and I head back to Sac, so that was another hour or so in the car. I was done.

But Friday I needed to not be done. I needed to be focused. Friday was a big day; I had three admin applications due yesterday. The typical application requires a resume, credential copy, three letters of rec, and a letter of intent. I have been an applying machine, so I had everything ready but the letters of intent.

Ugh.

I hate writing letters of intent.

Some might tell you that they are not important, but I don't think I would agree. This year I have applied for 8 admin positions. For four of them, I've used a pretty generic letter of intent. And got zero response. So I decided to take a different tack. For these letters, I included research and specific comments about the district/school. It was a good idea, but it was a long process. Yesterday, I worked on my applications from 7 to three. Like a work day.

But at least my "work day" ended with a call saying I have a job interview in Elk Grove.

Sweet!

Dang it! Now I have to get a suit. There goes my Saturday. Well, it's a happy problem. :)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

wow! makes my last two days look super easy. I've been sitting around babysitting, which has its own challenges but at least I've been home.