Saturday, March 20, 2010

Marching to the Beat

Of my own, cranky, tired drum. This week actually included quite a bit of personal, quiet time. On one level, it was wonderful; on another, it was frustrating that I did not get more work done.

This week at school we had the Ca High School Exit Exam on Tuesday and Wednesday. We gave the test to our 10th graders in the morning, so from 8 to 11 both days I had my class room all to myself. It was beautiful. I did not clean my desk off as I had planned, but I did do a bunch of planning and other stuff. It was really nice.

Also, I drove to Sac state twice this week to work on my thesis, so I got lots of time in the car to listen to the news. It wasn't terribly productive, but I got to chat with people from my credential program. That was nice.

In general, I have been hiding out in my room a lot. It's really depressing at work, partly because of all the surprise pink slips. People are really bummed out and unhappy. Also, we found out this week that a former student was killed very close to our campus. I did not know the young man, but it is horrible anytime a young person's life is lost in such a tragic, senseless way. Furthermore, I have a feeling that the situation is not resolved. Lying low seems like a good idea.

In terms of my thesis, work is progressing. The next couple weeks will be very intense, but I am moving along nicely. I hope to get some work done this weekend because we are actually staying in town for the first time in six weeks. This work week involves some time consuming things, like Open House and a union meeting, but it should be pretty straight forward. Then I have Spring break.

I can't believe that March is more than half over; it feels like we just started the month. But I am happy with how productive I've been despite how tired I am. Yes, I wish I was eating better. Yes, I wish I remember what it felt like to exercise. But I am comforted to know that this "march" will soon be over.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Glad you get to be home this weekend-always makes me feel a little less overwhelmed when I get some home time.