Sunday, March 14, 2010

Marching One By One...

Hurrah! Hurrah!

This week I did feel like a little ant. Every accomplishment was a HUGE mountain to climb. I felt ready to be overwhelmed by a giant flood or avalanche at any minute. And it was one long march.

Last Saturday, my dad came over and made pizzas with Em. Justin and I went to see Alice In Wonderland in 3-D, which made me feel old and silly. Nothing like putting 3-D glasses over your own glasses to make you feel like a dork. But it was a good movie.

On Sunday, we drove to Williams to drop Em off with her grandparents. Our daycare provider was on vacation last week, so Em got to spend a week with her cousins and my sister-in-law. While I hated being without her, I am so glad that she was able to have a great time.

I worked on Advocacy lessons on the laptop all the way up to Williams and all the way back. Then, I worked for another 3 hours or so at home while Justin slept off a nasty cold he's had for weeks. But I was able to finish my last Advocacy lessons for the year.

We went out to dinner at a cheap Chinese place (not so good, btw), and that started three days of poor culinary choices. We went out to dinner both Monday and Tuesday nights, but luckily we were able to go to restaurants that we like but that Emerson does not--sushi and a Mexican bistro with skeleton paintings on the walls. By Wednesday, I was sure I had gained five pounds and not written a lick of my thesis.

Wednesday and Thursday Justin kept me focused on writing. It was very annoying (especially when he threatened to shut off the internet), but I was able to go from 22 pages to 33.

Friday started out well, but then I got a surprise. Even though I'm a tenured teacher in my district and the district is not eliminating Eng positions, I got a pink slip. I was expecting it a little, but I had really hoped it wouldn't come.

After the pink slip bombshell, I was ready to leave for Redding to see Em. We stayed the night at Justin's and then headed home. Lucky Justin had to chaperone a dance last night. While I was bummed for him, I was happy that for the first time in six weeks, I was at home on a Saturday night. Em and I had a girls' evening. We made pesto pasta and watched a Barbie Mermaid movie. It was a good deal.

Today I hope to get some work done on my thesis. Later today, Em and I have a birthday party at Build-A-Bear.

This little ant needs to march herself to the shower.

No comments: