Sunday, May 31, 2009

What's Wrong Here?

The past three weeks I've had an eerie feeling I've struggled to shake off. I kept feeling like there was something I was forgetting: an event, a bill, a due date. I rifled through every aspect of my life, trying to find what it was I neglected. I finally decided I hadn't forgotten anything.

Then I figured out what was bugging me--I have had a ton of free time lately. And that free time is pretty much uninterrupted until grad school starts again next fall.

Weird.

Allow me to explain.

Since the Spring of 2006, my family and I have moved every year:

* Spring 2006: Pregnant. Desperately needed to live in a downstairs apartment with a washer and drier. Complications--on bed rest during move, pretty sure my husband almost died from exhaustion.
* Spring 2007: Tired of living in San Jose and paying ungodly amounts for rent. Decided to transplant to Sacramento area. Complications--one year old daughter decided to learn how to crawl one month before the move. Fun.
* Spring 2008: We made the mistake of moving into a crappy apartment in Elk Grove and the management was jerking us around. We decided to rent a house. Complications--my sister moved the weekend before. My family LOVES us.

This year, however, we aren't moving. And I cannot fully explain how wonderful that is. Our moves for the past three years have always coincided with the end of the school year and our daughter's birthday. By the end of June, we are always exhausted, broke, and, to be honest, a little hung over.

My happiness fully hit me today as I was planning Emerson's upcoming third birthday. We finally get to host her party at our house. We tend to invite a lot of people to her parties; we have a ton of family that we don't get to see very often. So we've had to have her parties the last two years at the park. I do not enjoy. Parks seem like a good idea. They are not.

This year we'll be at HOME. I'm sure we'll be tired (and slightly annoyed at overextending ourselves), but we will be home. Finally.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

so glad you have a GOOD problem! Enjoy it!

We always have overly busy Mays because of 1 birthday, 1 anniversary, camping, the end of school, and our church always does something big in May. Like you, by the time June rolls around we're exhausted. Today I finally got to shopping. Don't know when the house and laundry will get cleaned.