Saturday, June 6, 2009

My Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years

Being a teacher gives me an unique perspective, especially when it comes to the "end of the year." Most people finish their year in December, January, or February. Not me. My year begins in August and ends in June.

While the average American is celebrating the end of the year, nursing a hang over, and making resolutions, I'm too busy to be making plans. My year is in full swing. I've already made my resolutions, things like I will try to grade all essays within a reasonable amount of time, I won't let the kids see me angry, and I won't engage in workplace gossip. Yeah, by April goals like these are toast.

I finished teaching on Thursday and have had some time to reflect on this year, which for the most part was a VAST improvement over last year.

Here's what I am grateful for:

* I have a job. A wonderful, well-paying job with benefits.
* My boss actually took the time to ask me if I wanted to change my teaching assignment next year, and she's giving me time to make my decision. This is rare; typically one is told she is changing assignments.
* My kids took their final speeches very seriously. They dressed up, talked about interesting topics, and not a single one spoke about how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (I threatened them.)
* My husband finished his teaching credential. He did a fantastic job and he seems genuinely excited about teaching again.
* My family is the only reason I survived this crazy year. My husband managed to go to school, work like a dog, and cook on the weekends. Emerson was immensely patient with us and her wonderful, bright, happy personality is what kept me going all year.
* I have been so lucky to meet so many great friends this year. It was great to have "girls' night out" to look forward to.
* Finally, I seem to have someone or something looking out for me. Anytime I thought we couldn't make it financially, a wonderful gift would come our way. My boss offered me an extra period, I got a school loan, our tax return was huge, etc. We made it and that is a miracle.

Now, I don't have much time to contemplate my joys. I start summer school next week. But it was all in all a great year and I have much to celebrate.

No comments: