Wednesday, June 10, 2009

As the Wheel Turns...

One great thing about teaching, at least for my personality, is that every year I get to hit the reset button and start all over again. Some people may find that tiring, but it suits me really well. I have great bursts of energy, but my focus and enthusiasm tends to wane over time.

I added it up the other day, and in my eight years of teaching, I have had 14 first days of school. (Most years I teach summer school, so those firsts count too.) A few things have come to my attention:

1. I never sleep well the night before. Never.
2. Certain rituals have become constant: I always tweeze my eyebrows and do my nails the night before. This is odd, because these tasks are not habit in general for me (though some would argue they should be.)
3. While I'm not known for getting to work early (not a morning person), I feel so much better if I get to work early on the first day.
4. Regardless of what I'm teaching, both the kids and are I nervous. Though in summer school we are together for six hours, so we tend to get over that quickly.
5. The first day always goes faster than I thought it would (and I always plan too much to do.)

Many people raise their eyebrows when I say I'm a teacher. And more than a few (especially teachers) question what trauma has been enacted upon my frontal lobe that would cause me to VOLUNTEER for summer school. Teaching is certainly not for everyone, but I have taken so much value from this job that even if I were to quit tomorrow, I could honestly say teaching has changed me forever.

Lessons I have learned that live beyond the classroom:

* People will always test your resolve
* Nothing is more disarming than a confident smile
* Consistency is key
* The dreams and hopes of young people can erase the worst mood
* Being open to possibility is not just a corny idea
* If you don't provide Kleenex, most people will begin to bring their own
* If anyone truly bugs the heck out of you, it's because you are more similar to him or her than you would like to admit.

Every time I start a new class, I feel more than a bit overwhelmed. It's a whole new set of personalities, conflicts, and strange quirks to get used to. Sometimes I am not sure how long I can do this.

But then a student makes me laugh so hard I actually cry and I know it's totally worth it.

2 comments:

WhatUpThen said...

I've taught a few years of summer school (at Mt. Eden and Hayward HS, no less) and, I'll say, it's like going for a jog...it's hard to get motivated but always feels good once it's over.

kelly said...

Good entry. I take it you're doing summer school then? Or is that an option this summer? My Dad's school got their summer school cut due to the cut in budget. Thanks Terminator!