Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentines' Day!

One thing I've never understood is why some people HATE Valentines' Day. I'm not talking about those who have just had a break up; that is completely understandable. And I'm right there with them, avoiding all things heart shaped.

I'm talking about those who say things like: "Me and my boyfriend boycott Valentines'. It's so commerical." Or "Valentines' Day is so stupid. I HATE that day. I wear all black."

Seriously, get a grip.

First of all, any holiday which provides a major emphasis on candy and chocolate CANNOT be bad; hence, my love of Halloween and Easter. Hello, CANDY!

Second, if you only see Valentines' Day as a romantic time, then you are missing out on a lot of potential sweet moments. Sending cards to loved ones, receiving cards from people you don't get to see that often, making cupcakes with your kids, having a special dinner: all these things can make the day really special.

I also think I'm at an advantage because I work at a school. Yesterday, my school did a pretty neat thing. The leadership class wrote every student's name on red, paper hearts and hung them in the cafeteria. Kids then went and found people's hearts and wore them on their persons. At first, I thought to myself, this is going to be a nightmare. Kids are going to pick people's hearts to be mean. The only ones who will like this will be the popular kids who have boyfriends and girlfriends. This is going to be awful.

Nope. I was wrong. It was wonderful.

Kids not only picked the heart of their sweeties; they also picked their friends. Girls and boys participated. It was quite lovely to see everyone covered in red hearts. It made a very typical Friday school day special.

So Valentines' Day doesn't need to be about diamonds and expensive dinners out. Like most things, it's the small little touches that make the day special.

Enjoy your day with your family and loved ones!

No comments: