Sunday, February 22, 2009

Getting Back Up On That Horse

Since I was 13, I have been a runner. In fact, if you ask me to pick ten words to describe myself, "runner" would definitely be among them. Along with reader, short, and snotty. It's just always who I have been.

This is not to say that I have always loved running. Oh, no. I began running in middle school under duress. I committed the cardinal sin of lying about my mile time in p.e. and my father set his mind to teaching me what it would be like to actually run a 7:45 mile. All summer, we'd run four times a week. By the end I was running four miles at a time and my mile time was under 6 minutes. I actually started to like it (not that I told my dad this.) I especially liked being faster than all the boys in school.

During high school, I ran track, though, to be honest, I never showed my true potential.

Along came college, and 25 pounds my freshman year. To avoid that again my sophomore year, I started running and it became a routine over the next five years.

There are a few "truths" I have come to learn and appreciate about running:

* Quiet time, even if painful, is a blessed thing
* I may hate myself for starting a run, but I'll feel pretty awesome when finished
* It is mandatory to hold oneself up and pick the pace when encountering another runner
* Getting a new running outfit can invigorate the whole process
* If I can run a 10K, I can live through pretty much anything
* Life may force me to take a break every once in a while
* Running will always be waiting for me

This year, I am the primary care giver during the evenings. And I've been really consistent about keeping up with the exercise. However, I've ran 5 times since school started. It's pretty much been all DVD's, which are fine, but they are definitely losing their luster. Quite literally, I can close my eyes and do the routines just based on the music.

Self magazine has a yearly event called the Self Challenge. It's basically just an online log for working out and eating. The workouts include both cardio and strength training. The cardio ones are great for getting back into shape because they are all interval training.

So, like the last couple years, I signed up today, and I'm about to head out to get some running pants. Shorts are just not going to cut it right now. Burrrr.

I'm ready to return to my old friend, running, and get started again. It won't be pretty, I'm sure. In fact, it'll be red-faced, sweaty, and swear-filled. But I know I'll feel better when I'm done. Every time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hillary,

I just got caught up on you an Sarah since January. I'm teaching this semester and the baby's just getting into a routine where I have time for more than the minimum.

I'm glad to know you're doing well and Em continues to be a cutie pie.