Monday, February 9, 2009

Ah, The Cycle of Marriage

My husband and I had a tough year together last year. We moved to a new area, we didn't know anybody, and we faced uncertainty at every turn. He had difficulty finding a job, which lead to a lot of self doubt and frustration.

Then, I got laid off in March, which lead to my own doubt and fear. All in all a fun time.

But this fall, we hit a stride together. Kinda like that corny R&B "Solid Like a Rock" song. We were insanely busy with me working, his credential program, my graduate classes, and our lovely but precocious daughter. We were having great conversations late at night about teaching and school. We actually laughed and goofed around. Money has been an issue, but we have weathered the storms.

Until now, apparently. It seems that we are creating storms between each other lately.

Now, my husband and I both have strong personalities. We are both teachers. We are both first born in our families. We are both used to being in control and making decisions. So when it comes to many enterprises, our interactions are, let's say. dynamic.

Lately, however, we seem to look for arguments. We start snipping at each other at every chance. It seems that we are in a constant cycle of disappointment and annoyance. It has not been a pleasant couple of weeks for the most part.

I'm not quite sure how we got to this place, but I'd really like to have my relationship from the fall back. I know I'm tired, not feeling my best, and stressed about the future (layoffs are imminent), but I really have tried to keep things in perspective.

I don't know exactly what's up, but as our anniversary is coming up, I hope to spend some time with my husband. Hopefully, we can reconnect. Or at least figure out why we are acting like two snarling cats in a burlap sack.

No comments: