Saturday, January 22, 2011

A California January

It's January 22nd.

It's 65 degrees.

I'm sitting on my bed in short sleeves with the window open. Birds are singing.

I love California.

This week was pretty good for a couple reasons. For one, it was only four days long. For another, the weather was fantastic. No ice patches to worry about on campus. No rainy lunches to deal with. Vice Principal bliss.

Those who are familiar with middle school students know that nice weather is not necessarily a nice thing. Sunshine can bring out the wild side of pre-teens. There was a fair amount of giggling and sneaky hand holding this week at my school.

However, I imagine that this nice weather is temporary and that we will be back to cold and wet soon. February and March tend to be rainy months here in Sac, but we get a little break in January, which tends to be dry and sunny.

I'm not sure how much of the pleasant weather we will get to enjoy today outside, as we have been cleaning up around the house and we are about to work on the baby's room again. I am hoping to take Em out at some point today or tomorrow, but we'll stay close to home. I cannot express how much I love the weekends and our quiet time at home. Work is fine, but the break is entirely necessary.

Next week should be a challenge. First, there's five days of work. Sigh. Second, I really need to get a move on with my second round of observations, and I need to get my office ready for my replacement. I have a doctor's appointment this week and my first non-stress test. I'm not pleased that from this week forward I will begin twice-weekly non-stress tests. I really wish they would just have me do one a week and build up to two if they are necessary. It's ironic that something with the word "non-stress" in it can cause so much stress. :)

For now, Em and I will continue bird watching from my bedroom window. Ahhhhhh....

No comments: