Sunday, April 25, 2010

Feeling Da Funk

Two months ago, I went off the pill and became one of those "Actively Trying" people (as labeled by the BabyCenter website; sidenote--if you want to read wacky, go to that site. My goodness.)

At first I was excited to plan for our next child, especially since the first was a surprise. I read up on ovulation since I had forgotten everything I learned in 7th grade science. It was a little embarrassing to not know anything about my own body, but luckily the wonderful internet quickly reminded me of all the particulars. Oh, the internet.

Again, at first I was excited. And then I remembered, oh right, I am NOT patient. Planning anything stresses me out. Delayed gratification is not my thing. Not so fun.

So back to the beginning, I went off the pill. A week later I had what I thought was a period. Okay. I tried to plan off of that. 14 days exactly after the first day of my period, I felt the pains I've always associated with ovulation. Okay. Good. I calculated my next period to be around April 22nd. Good deal.

Well, it's April 26th. No period, and no cause to celebrate. The four pregnancy tests I've taken this week have said "Not pregnant" in bold and, I think, rather judgemental, words. (Again, I = NOT PATIENT.)

Earlier this week, I thought I felt my period coming and I have certainly had what my husband would call killer PMS (not to my face of course because he would die.) But no period.

So I called Kaiser today to schedule an appointment. It's been almost two years since my last OBGYN visit, so it seemed prudent any ways to make sure the plumbing is all good and ready to go. First appointment--May 26th. Yeah, a freaking month away. Nice.

Now begins the time when I have a stern talking-to with myself. I'll just stop drinking. I'll relax (ha!), try to get more exercise, enjoy my new freedom from school, and BREATHE. Everything will work out. (And repeat 90,000 times.)

So that's where I am at. Planning is sooooo fun. :)

7 comments:

Sarah said...

you will know sooner or later! I agree that it is hard to be patient, especially when you are a good planner. I have a couple really good books to recommend if you want them. you can do this!

sarah said...

The two-week wait after you *may* have conceived until you can actually confirm it with a test is torture. TORTURE! And I was astonished by how little I knew as well. It kind of drove me crazy that a fertilized egg could be bouncing around my uterus trying to implant. Seriously, I'd always thought that they'd implanted right away. So I found myself cheering for a hypothetical embryo to dig in.

So, yeah, *trying* is SUCH a mind game. Our Goddess of Fertility friend gave me the tip that when you feel "in the mood," you are likely to be ovulating, but when I was trying I couldn't tell if I was really "in the mood" or if the calendar was turning me on.

I think I ovulate at a completely different time than I thought, too (I've always had similar pains that I associated with egg laying...). The times when we *ahem* coincided perfectly with my supposed ovulation...NADA. The month we got pregnant I was positive that we'd missed the window. I decided to stop trying so hard and lose some weight. And then I was pregnant before I could lose anything. Anyway, my theory is that husbands are a more reliable indicator--studies show that men are more attracted to women who are ovulating, so if he's interested, it may just be the right time. ;-)

sarah said...

Wow, that comment was a whole post--and I still forgot to say that I'm really excited for you! Good luck and have fun (heh, heh)!

littlebiggirl said...

Thank you ladies for the kind comments. I am feeling a lot more relaxed (could be because of the nice weather though.) I stopped drinking wine, I'm trying to rest, relax, etc. It was really different with Em. I was one day late on my period, took a test, and it popped up "pregnant" almost instantly. Thank you for your reassurance. :)

Alison said...

Yay Bean! I wish you much luck!

Dr. Love said...

Congratulations Hill!
I'm 6 months pregnant now, so let me remind you that it's more fun trying than being pregnant. ;) I also back up Sarah's recommendation for the fertility books.
Remember to get on the waitlist for the good daycare if you have any sort of a scarcity like we have.

littlebiggirl said...

Congrats Tanzy! That is exciting news. And I agree, trying is more fun than being pregnant. I was not a huge fan of being, well, huge.

I spoke with my doctor and she told me that it could take six months just to get my period after the pill I was on. I am really disappointed, but I am still trying to relax and not worry so much. I'll let you know how that goes.