Friday, October 9, 2009

The Good, The Bad, and The New

This week I started a new adventure at work. My principal asked me to begin training as Teacher-in-Charge, a position that is mostly like a Vice Principal (just not paid like one.) Our current TIC, as they are so affectionately named, is pregnant and will be out in March. While it has not been decided if I'll be covering her when she leaves, my principal thought it wise to train me in the ways of high school administration.

So here's my first week of admin experience:

Monday: I had a really hard time sleeping Sunday night, which is typically the case when I'm starting something new. I arrived work freshly ironed and made up, but feeling quite lost. I really didn't have an office, and I had no idea what I was going to do. First thing, I sat through two admin conferences. Unfortunately, my new adventure ended early because another teacher needed my sub so he could pick up his vomiting daughter from daycare. Back to the class room I went.

Tuesday: I spent the full day in the office. I handled a few suspensions (mostly for cell phones...ugh), but spent most of the day talking to kids about attendance and behavior. It was a rather uneventful day, and actually I don't remember a lot of it.

Wednesay: I was back in my room because my students had To Kill a Mockinbird presentations. The only bad thing about being out of my class this week is that it was the end of the quarter. This means that all my students' projects and tests, etc had to be graded this week. Big ugh. My principal asked me to TIC on Wednesday, but I needed to be in my room to make sure my kids were on track. This was a challenging day.

Thursday: This day started weird and just continued. I cannot go into a whole lot of details, as these are sensitive issues pertaining to students, but I will say that these topics were covered by my day: condoms, handcuffs, counterfeit money, and public urination. Sigh. Needless to say, I ate my lunch at 3:45.

Friday: Today was my last day for the foreseeable future in the office, and it was a busy one. This week was Homecoming, so we had a minimum day and a parade outside our school. It was a fast-paced day, but things went really smoothly. And (big deal pause here), I figured out how to use the walkie-talkie finally.

So next week I'm back in my room. This is comforting, but I am looking forward to my next office adventure. I enjoyed the change of pace and new skills. However, I could really use a beer.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

You were a TIC during homecoming week!!!??!!! Also affectionately known as hell week at some schools? The fact that you did so well and survived is fantastic. Thursday is example 972 of "words you'd never associate with teaching" and isn't that the day that you said you had a good busy day? Again, fantastic!