Friday, August 7, 2009

Yet Another One Bites the Dust

This weekend officially marks the end of my summer. Sigh. I don't technically start work until Tuesday, and I don't start teaching until the 17th, but I have a bunch of work to do.

And I'm so excited about it I can hardly stand it.

Ha.

This summer, as with most, had its high and low points. But the one thing I can say about it was my family did a lot.

What Happened Over My Summer Vacation

* Taught summer school (I know...it doesn't sound like vacation, but summer school is waaaaay easier than regular.)
* Celebrated my daughter's 3rd birthday with a HUGE family party
* Gave my husband a grill for Father's Day (hey, any successful shopping experience is a big thing for me)
* Went to Long Beach for a conference (had my very own room and everything...very cool)
* Surprised my in-laws in Redding for 4th of July
* Worked with my husband during summer school (a little strange but it was so nice to see him working)
* Interviewed for a Teacher-In-Charge position (didn't get it; was a little more than disappointed, but learned from the experience
* Finished a major part of my admin credential project (still have forty thousand parts to go...)
* Traveled to San Jose to say good-bye to a good friend who's moving to Texas
* Hung out with family and friends and started to feel at home in Sacramento/Elk Grove
* Visited with friends from high school (whoa, high school!)
* Began potty training Emerson (sheesh, that's FUN)
* Got to my pre-pregnancy weight

Things to Look Forward to This Fall

* More potty training adventures (yay)
* Teaching my first Honors English class (those kids won't know what hit them...)
* My husband getting a teaching job
* My last semester of my admin credential program
* Implementing a school-wide curriculum (pray for me people)
* Celebrating my father's birthday in Fort Brag
* Fun autumn activities like Harvest festivals, Halloween, and Thanksgiving
* Losing five more pounds
* So You Think You Can Dance (don't mock--it's AWESOME)

I have many things that I am anxious about. The job market for my husband is awful right now and our finances are beyond tight. But we have always found a way to make things work in the past. I know things will get easier (at some point they have to, right?), so I'm trying hard to stay positive. I have great friends and a wonderful family, so I have lots to be happy about.

Well, it's time to put on pants that zip and shoes that aren't flip flops and get back to work!

No comments: