Saturday, August 22, 2009

Looking for that dang glass...

The last time my sister was here we were talking about that old saying: "Are you a "glass-half full or half-empty" person? My sister, who's always been a bit pessimistic, said that her glass would be broken.

Personally, my perspective switches quite a bit. I can alternatively see the best in people and the world and I can quickly lose all hope and direction. This week I am trying to see the glass half full (and not cracked, dirty, or out to get me.)

Surprisingly, it's working.

We have had some great news. Justin got offered a job in Stockton. It would be easy for me to get really upset about the commute, the not so great school he'll be working at, and the fact that the principal has yet to contact him. Yet I am not upset. I have found myself floating above all those worries. I am just so happy that Justin's hard work has finally paid off.

I applied for the v.p. position at my school and did not get called for an interview, even though the principal said he scored my paper work high. Honestly, I was more than a bit angry about not getting an interview. It's not that I thought I'd get the job, but I wanted the chance. However, I have a great teaching schedule this year (English 9, Honors 10, and seventh period prep). By the end of the week, I noticed my mood was changing. I started to realize that I could enjoy this school year.

Surviving last year has taught me a lot. I never thought that my family would survive on one income with Justin and I both in school. Yet we did. This year will bring its own frustrations and struggles--Justin's first public school job, my last year in the admin credential program, and Emerson's potty training. (I would happily write someone else's masters thesis to not have to do that last one.)

While I'm nervous, I'm actually feeling pretty good about all the things I am going to do this year. Hey, look at that water filling the glass...

No comments: