Monday, April 13, 2009

At Long Last--My Spring Vacation

It felt like a long time coming, but I finally had my spring vacation last week. While I was not super excited to get back to work today, I did feel more relaxed and less snappish. (Truth be told, it is motivating to know I have three minimum days next week because of STAR testing.)

Last week included some highly diverse activities. Some slightly unnerving. Some tiring. All highly enjoyable.

Vacation, Part I

After a SUPER relaxing start to my weekend, which included a long nap and dinner out with my family, Em and I headed to Redding for our "just girls" portion of the week. My sister-in-law just had my nephew, so we headed up to lend a hand and give my 2 year old niece a much needed companion.

At first it felt a little odd to be in Redding without my husband. My niece had a bad cold and really only had eyes for her mom. I felt that I wasn't going to be a ton of help.

Monday rolled around and I gained a little confidence. I took both girls to the park, and they did great. I ran them ragged by chasing them through the park in a large loop. (By the way, running around a park for 45 minutes with two toddlers is fantastic exercise.)

We got back to the house, and I shocked the heck out of myself. While my sister-in-law went to a doctor's appointment, I watched all three kids. Now, yes it was naptime, but this is an accomplishment for me. The only toddler I've ever really been responsible for is my own daughter. I handle teenagers great, but little ones give me pause. (Turns out they are more similiar than one would like to know.)

Tuesday included a new first. All three kids and Summer and I piled into the car for story time at the library. Things went smoothly, but both us moms were pretty excited when nap time rolled around.

The rest of the visit went smoothly, but everyone seemed a bit frayed (girls included) by the end of the week. My in-laws all caught Elizabeth's cold, and everyone was dragging by Thursday. It was a great time, but Em was thrilled to be heading back home to see Daddy.

Vacation, Part 2

Unfortunately, Em only got a couple hours with Justin before he had to head to class. She and I tried to find an Easter dress that she wouldn't totally reject (we were only somewhat successful.)

Later, after a much-needed break watching Cars, my dad came over with his girlfriend to pick up Em for the weekend. I knew everything would be great, but it was sad to send her off. However, Justin and I had plenty to do to get ready for Vegas.

The next morning, I actually woke up and did my make up and blow dried my hair. This is huge for me. I typically spend no more than 10 minutes getting ready, shower included.

Justin and I headed to Vegas, enjoyed an uneventful flight together, and actually engaged in adult conversation (keep it clean, people; it was about teaching!) We met my mom and my sister's mother-in-law at the airport. My sister and brother-in-law joined us later at the Trump.

We had a great room. The Trump is right off the strip, within reasonable walking distance, and the rooms are nicely appointed. My favorite was the HUGE bath with jets. Took two baths. Yes, I did. It was awesome.

The highlight of the trip was going dancing with the entire group. My mom doesn't drink, but she boogied with us until 3 in the morning as the rest of us acted a fool. It was a really fun night, which we paid for a bit in the morning. (Hey, that's what "hair of the dog is for!")

The next day, my sister arranged for a 30-year-old-themed scavenger hunt and decorated my room with 80's/90's memorabilia. It was totally sweet! And the hunt gave us things to do as we waited for food and walked around Vegas.

Saturday night was a little more subdued, but we still had a great time. We went out for a nice dinner at Diego's in the MGM Grand (I highly recommend, by the way.) And Sunday, Justin and I said our good byes and made our way back to Sac.

I really missed Em by the end of the weekend, but it was great to have so much time with my husband. It'll be awhile, I imagine, before our next trip, so I'm glad I had such a great time.

Whoo-hoo! I'm 30! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! What an amazing 30th b-day!! You're such a lucky girl. No one deserves it more, so I'm thrilled for you. You don't look a day over 29 1/2 either!