Saturday, October 4, 2008

September: the month that would not die

I remember September 14th this month. I remember thinking: "It's only half over...No way!" This past month may have had the same number of days it always has, but it seemed so much longer than its 30 days.

Here's why:

1. I started teaching again. Yes, this began in August, but it started to feel real in September. And this year I have no prep, which means more students and even fewer restroom breaks.

2. I began grad school and my husband started his credential program. So far I have one class down and we are getting a rhythm but it was a long time coming. Our family dynamics have shifted dramatically. I cook now and somewhat clean. While having Justin not work last year wasn't exactly perfect, our house certainly was. This housekeeping stuff is ROUGH.

3. Exercise is my middle name. In August, I got the news that I am indeed pre-diabetic. I had 20 pounds to lose, so I got really disciplined about working out. I'm down 10 lbs. This is all great, but anyone who's been down to her last 10 pounds knows how much work that will be. Ugh.

4. Em's transition back to daycare was not as smooth as anticipated. She had spent the whole summer with Daddy and was used to low-key mornings, lots of personal attention, and, most painfully, sleeping in until 8. She's back to her usual easy-going, social self, but she was downright prickly for a large portion of September.

Almost needless to say, I am very happy it is October. The weather today is beautiful: very cool and rainy. We are planning on going to our town's Harvest Festival this weekend and I'm very excited. It's been a long time since we've done something this. I can't even remember the last time we took pictures.

There's so much to look forward to: Halloween, my niece's birthday, the first holiday of the school year, and of course, many busy, adventure-filled days with my small, precious family.

Whoo-hoo to October!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I feel you about Sept. I had similar issues with the entire month. I've also added 8 pounds from my ideal and need to get back to eating correctly. Stupid body.

October is turning out to be more calm.