Monday, February 11, 2008

Winter is the devil

I used to be thin. The problem is, I didn't know it, and so I didn't enjoy it. I didn't wear sexy tops or short skirts. I didn't have potato chips and I only ate cake on birthdays. In addition, I killed myself with working out, which eventually lead to a very embarrassing butt strain.

When I got pregnant, I went bananas. Meaning, I ate no bananas. I decided being pregnant and feeling like dog-doo gave me license to eat whatever I wanted. Meaning, I ate hamburgers. Evil, bad bacon-and-cheese covered hamburgers. So delicious.

At the end of my pregnancy, the scale was higher than I ever imagine it could be. Surprisingly, I wasn't worried. (It's amazing how becoming a mother realigns one's priorities.) I began walking and lifting weights, but I didn't sweat it.

A year later I weighed myself and I actually weighed more than at my six week check up. This was a big wake-up call and I got real with myself. I changed my eating choices and I began working out in earnest.

Everything was going smoothly until about October. I had lost 15 pounds (I wanted to lose 28 total), and people had finally stopped asking me if I was pregnant. Then, I got stuck.

I haven't lost a single stinking pound sense October and I blame winter. I am running a ton more, and I'm lifting weights and doing Pilates. Yet, I lose no more weight. So frustrating.

Now, here's the point where I'm honest with myself. I am not exactly Speedy Gonzalez when I go running. And I'm not doing so hot on the diet part too. I have issues eating vegetables in the winter. In the summer, I can eat a salad for lunch and dinner and not give a fig. Winter...no way!

I am trying to stay positive, so here's what I can be happy about:
1. I have maintained my weight loss
2. I am now in the healthy weight range for my height
3. I fit into a pair of pre-pregnancy pants (whoo-freaking-hoo!)

I do have goals for the near future:
1. To wear a sassy dress for my anniversary
2. To buy a new bathing suit this summer that does not have a little skirt

Still, I can't wait for the weather to get better and the vegetables to be more tempting.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I know what you mean about winter. Seems all I want to eat are biscuits.

The good thing is you can eat lots of yummy fruits too- grapes are on sale here in TX as are strawberries, and apples and oranges.

Get outside and take a walk too- that should help, although you said you're running.

Depending on how many calories you are eating compared to how many you're expending, you may be eating too few. I don't know. Just a suggestion.

Anyway good job on the weight loss so far!