Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I should know better

My daycare lady is going on vacation next month, so I sent an email to family members who offered to help watch my daughter in these situations. Well, now I'm in a mess. Partly my fault, yes, but a mess nonetheless.

So here's the email I sent to my daughter's grandparents (all three sets):
Hi Everyone!

I hope everyone is doing well. We are having a quiet weekend after Justin's big birthday bash.

Emerson's daycare will be closed the following days: March 10-18th and April 21st. We wondering if any of you would care to watch Emerson for us on any of those dates. This would be a great help to us because Justin will be able to sub and I won't have to use any sick leave.

Please let us know if you are available. Also, she is taking off a week in November too, the 3rd through the 7th.

Thank you so much! Talk to you soon!



I thought it was a reasonable email, but still we have issues. My husband's mom emails me and says that she'll take Emerson the whole week...in Redding. And she volunteered my sister-in-law (I'm pretty sure this will be news to her) to watch Em during the day. First, I'm not ready to spend a whole week without my daughter. Second, my sister-in-law has her own daughter, and I don't want to be a burden on her. They just bought a house, etc.

So I'm a big girl, and I email my mother-in-law and say that I just don't feel comfortable with Em being gone the whole week. Could she stay at our place half the week and in Redding the other half? The response I got: "I'd get cabin fever staying in your apartment." And that was it. So I have no idea where the situation is. I see an uncomfortable phone conversation in my future.

What makes it worse is that my mom also wants to watch Em (which I did not anticipate cause she's watching her the weekend before.) And my mom is not enjoying my mother-in-law right now, so I don't really want to tell her the whole situation. I don't want to give her a reason to bad talk my husband's mom. (My husband will lose it.)

I've evaluate this situation and come to the conclusion that I need to be much more specific: ask one person for a couple days and another for the rest and be clear that I want Em to be at home. I'm sure I'll get through this okay, but I just HATE confronting women. I'm so intimidated by them and it's so unpleasant.

Ugh. I just feel really stupid about not anticipating that this would be the result. It's ironic to me that when family offers to help, it ends up being about the opposite. Boo.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

That's a really crummy situation. Probably though the best thing is to just stand up for yourself- it's your daughter after all. You can explain that Emerson will do best in a location she's familiar with, and you can give them ideas of things to do from your house.

I feel for you though. It's so hard to have to figure that stuff out. Maybe you could promise a longer visit in the future, like when she's 2? Or 3?

Hope it all gets worked out quickly.