Friday, February 29, 2008

A slow, rolling boil

I taught for seven years in Milpitas, Ca in the Bay Area. My first two years teaching, there were threats of teacher layoffs because of the downturn in the economy. The tech bubble had just burst and we were feeling the squeeze. Everything worked out, but it was no fun.

Now, I work in Elk Grove, and I moved here just as another bubble burst--the real estate/development boom. I was not entirely surprised when we started hearing about budget cuts in my district and the "remote" possibility of layoffs.

Now remote has nothing to do with it. My principal pulled me in yesterday to inform me that the district is cutting 9th grade Class Size Reduction in English and Math. While that doesn't affect my site directly, there is the distinct possibility of me being "bumped" by a teacher from another district with more seniority because his or her schedule was reduced. I will be receiving a pink slip in March and there is a distinct possibility that I will not be asked to return next year.

Today the district released its projected cuts and they include eliminating over 50 kindergarten teachers, almost 30 high school English and Math teachers, and special education teachers. We have to cut $25 million, so I understand that tough cuts will be made.

Now here's where the boiling comes in. I am pissed off that millions will be stripped from programs that directly affect kids. However, we are only projected to cut 1/4 million from management's budget. No administrators at the sites or at the district level are projected to be cut. They're not cutting sports or extracurriculars...No, English and Math. Because that makes sense.

The more I think about this, the angrier I become. And not for myself, necessarily. I am scared about losing my job, but I know things work out. What makes me angry is that I have a sneaking suspicion that this is a stunt for the media.

Today my school had a big press conference with the State Secretary of Education and huge education big wigs. I am not sure what was said, but I was told it was a big show of opposition against our governor. Our school's scores have been rising, but the majority of our students are African-American and poor.

I feel resentment about having my students being used by politicians to make a point. I really hope that the district is really serious about helping students succeed and isn't trying to make a big, splashy political point during an election year. That would do nothing to benefit the education of our most needy students.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I remember being used by the teachers for the teaching strike at HHS. I was upset that even if I wanted to go to class I couldn't. The kids are often caught in the middle. I hope that someday, somewhere, the children and their teachers will be treasured instead of dishonored.

H-Beast said...

And I've noticed my kids are scared. They keep hearing about cuts, but they don't know how it'll affect them. I have told the powers that be that these concerns should be addressed, but so far nothing has happened.