Saturday, February 12, 2011

35 Weeks!

According to some, I'm on my 35th week of pregnancy. There is still some disagreement about my due date, which really doesn't mean a whole lot. If I get to March 19th, which is my due date according to my numbers and my original doctor, they will induce me anyways because of my diabetes.

So I'm 34/35 weeks now, depending on who you ask, and I'm pretty excited (not too much because I am huge and tired.) At this point with Emerson, I was placed on bed rest. While I didn't exactly pass my stress test this Thursday with flying colors (the nurse got very quiet), I was not sent to labor and delivery. No bed rest for me and sea horse; at least, not yet.

I was feeling a little guilty last weekend because I overdid it on Saturday. First there was the birthday party, then I took Justin out for dinner. Dinner was lovely, and it was very nice to dress up and go out with Justin, just us grown-ups. That hasn't happened since the summer.

However, the night got long when we had to go pick up Em from her friend's. She was just too scared to sleep over at someone's house, and she needed to head back home. I knew it was a long shot to have her sleep at a friend's house at this age, but I thought we could at least try. Oh, well. We'll try again later.

So I started Sunday pretty tired, and then we headed to the store, which completely wiped me out. I had a ton of contractions all day, and I spent most of it in bed. I started to feel anxious about not being ready for the baby, so I sorted baby clothes to see what sizes I have and I updated my registry.

(By the way, the clothes are still on the floor of his room.) :)

Monday, however, I felt great and my non-stress test went really smoothly. Tuesday and Wednesday were both a blur, as we spent the week getting ready for my boss to leave on her vacation. I remember planning for February a couple months ago and thinking how far it seemed. It blows my mind that we are already here.

Thursday was a doozy. First, I got handed a project that needed to be cranked out quickly. Luckily, I enjoy working under the gun like that, but it kind of sent the rest of my day into a tail spin. Thursdays always feel crammed anyways because of my NST in the afternoon.

So by the time I got to my appointment, I knew my blood pressure was high and the contractions were pretty intense. This was the first time my nurse seemed to take them seriously. Luckily, my blood pressure went down after I relaxed a bit. However, the contractions kept coming. She seemed ready to send me to Labor and Delivery, but instead she sent me home with the directions to rest and pay attention to them.

Pay attention I did. I had about six an hour, but none took my breath away and eventually I had less. I never really stopped contracting all evening, but they slowed down to about four an hour. Amazingly, I slept through the night and I felt so much better on Friday.

Friday evening was a little rough, but I think I'm just getting used to (again) how uncomfortable the end of pregnancy is for me. Uncomfortable may be too harsh a word. It's just that I can't really get anything else done because of the contractions. They kind of take all my focus. With my first pregnancy, that was okay because it was the end of the school year, I had little work to do, and I did not have a four-year-old to take care of. Now, I feel immensely guilty that I can't devote the time I want to to my family and work. It's pretty frustrating.

This morning, around 4, I woke up contracting, which annoys me to no end. I get that at the end of a long work day, my body will respond to stress by contracting. But in the middle of the night. Um, no thank you.

Thankfully, I drank a glass of water, had my oh-so-cheerful husband rub my back, and I was able to go back to sleep.

I am hugely grateful that I have a three day weekend to spend with my family, getting the baby's room more ready, and working on projects for school. I really think having two back-to-back four-day work weeks will help me hang on at work until my boss gets back.

While I anxiously await the "big" day, I am simultaneously amazed how quickly this pregnancy has gone. I am so excited to meet my little boy and complete our family. I just have a couple things to do first. :)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I went to click the like button and then realized where I was reading this. Glad you have two three day weekends, hope the contractions continue to be just annoying and not productive!