Monday, May 26, 2008

Different Year, Way Different Day

The weather this Memorial day is just plain odd. I can't remember when this day has been so cloudy, cold, and windy. It got me thinking about last year's holiday.

Last Year...
We lived in San Jose in this cute two-bedroom apartment. There were things I didn't like: you couldn't see the living room from the kitchen and the rent was insane. But there were several cool things. The property was maintained nicely and the pool was just outside our door.

At the last minute, we decided to have an impromptu BBQ. My mother, sister and her then fiance, and a friend of theirs came from Concord to hang out. My husband made pineapple margaritas and hamburgers (the latter I don't remember so good because of the former.) We hung out at the pool, taking my daughter for one of her first swims. I wasn't sure how she'd feel about it, but, fearless as always, she loved!

Last year's holiday was perfect. I was finally coming out of my post-partum fog and my friend's wedding was all done and over. I needed one big breath of relaxing air before we plunged into moving to Elk Grove and starting a new job.

This Year...
This year it isn't only the weather that's different. We live in Elk Grove now, my job, while mostly enjoyable, is still in jeopardy, both my husband and I are going back to school, and my ever-talkative little girl is almost two.

Saturday we met up with friends at the Tower Cafe in Sacramento. Everyone seemed to like their food. Mine sucked. For future reference, I do not recommend the mexicana omelet unless you like your eggs swimming in sour cream.

Yesterday, my dad and his mother came over to watch Em. Justin and I went to see Iron Man, which was a ton of fun. The movie was really cool, fast-paced, and (we were embarrassed to admit) too loud. Justin went bonkers with the snacks (my dad treated us for our birthdays) and bought popcorn, candy, soda, and two hot dogs. Yes two. And he ate both.

Today I'm not sure what we are going to do. I'd like to spend time outside, but it's downright crummy out there. And what do you make for dinner on a rainy Memorial Day? BBQ seems out of place.

This Memorial Day seems to suit my mood right now...very ambiguous and strange. I feel rather lost right now when it comes to my job, etc. The only thing keeping me nailed down at all is my family. While it's not quite the holiday I imagined, I am more than happy to spend it with them.

No comments: